Sunday, September 22, 2013

a little more about indigo resist


The 2004 edition of Uncoverings, the annual journal of the American Quilt Study Group, includes a paper about 18th century indigo resist prints. 


The paper is called "Eighteenth-Century Indigo-Resist Fabrics: Their Use in Quilts and Bed Hangings" by Mary Gale and Margaret OrdoƱez. It includes photos of two indigo resist prints that match prints in my collection. I think the quilts are the same ones that appeared in "Printed Textiles: English and American Cottons and Linens 1700-1850" by Florence Montgomery. I mentioned that wonderful book in an earlier blog post.

my quilt, c.1760-1800, possibly New York

Page from 2004 Uncoverings - quilt from Shelburne Museum
detail view of my quilt
Page from 2004 Uncoverings - quilt from Shelburne Museum
detail view of my quilt 
Good reading! If you're interested in learning more about 18th century indigo resist, I recommend both resources. And of course, there's nothing like seeing the objects in person. I plan to go to the Rhode Island Historical Society and the Shelburn Museum to see their quilts, possibly next year. It'll be interesting to see how those quilts compare to the quilts in my collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment